80% of the time the people who land the job nevermind get the interview usually have a relationship somewhere, somehow with the person/ people they will be working with should they be successful. Reason being, teams hire yes for skill, but more importantly, for “fit” aka culture. All parties involved in the process need to be sure that you will fit into the culture, help make money, and stay.
Having said this, below are 7 really important fundamental tips/ things to consider to help on your journey in landing what you believe is your “dream job”:
- What are you bringing to the table?
- How can adding you into the team be beneficial to the bottom line?
- What’s in your skills toolkit?
- What can you do differently/ better than all the people around the office?
- Again!!!!! Culture fit– soooo NB. No one wants to be dealing with “situations”…
- Are you generally a hard worker?
- I mean, its not just good for your image, you just feel less guilty as a resource when pay- day rolls around knowing that you have worked for your money and you’ve actually made a difference and added value. It might feel great skimping on hours and taking shortcuts, but don’t forget- they may not say it but people are watching you…
- Can they take a chance on you?
- Are you a promising candidate? you can measure this by analyzing then expressing how you being added into the equation of the team will result in some sort of value add- talk numbers if you can… but also, have someone/ people who can vouch for you somewhere somehow so that you look lucrative, as a resource. You must be wanted. People want what they can’t have right? So be wanted haha!
- Are you all familiar?
- Remember, they can’t take a chance on you if they don’t know you/ about you. In South Africa we call this “udume ngani?” loosely translated means “what are you known for?” and it summates everything, from your reputation to your work ethic.
- Do you have grit?
- Can you stand the test of time/ can you venture into territories others refuse to go/ are you resilient/ are you willing to take a chance/ is no the end of the conversation or the beginning of a new one for you? All these attributes that show your huger… so important!
So there you have it! a few things to keep in mind to help position yourself and give you the competitive edge to everyone else who aspires for all that your heart also aspires for 🙂